Wednesday, October 21, 2009

List, lists, lists

There are so many things that have to be done! On my train ride home last night, my ipod wasn't working, so I started making lists of what I want to accomplish each week. In a way, it made each task seem a little less daunting. Then I thought about it today, and it is all still very daunting. I suppose I could go the route of hiring a coordinator, but then we run the risk of having some complete stranger take possession of our special day.

The most daunting tasks seem to be caterers and finding places for our guests to stay (since the majority will be coming from out of town). As far as catering goes, we know we don't want a sit down dinner. So that's narrowed down, but then we have to figure how to feed 100 guests and stay within some sort of budget, right? Why, oh why, can't we just be independently wealthy? As for the hotel situation, in a word, it is expensive. Staying in a hotel in Chicago is certainly not cheap. I know whenever my parents come to visit, they almost always stay in the suburbs (mostly near O'Hare). Seems the simple solution, right? Well, not really considering Promontory Point is at 5500 South Lake Shore. Any ideas how to nab some good rates within Chicago city limits?

I know this seems like complaining, but honestly, I am looking forward to all the planning. It'll give Dave and I lots to do in the coming cold winter months. And the sooner we get the wedding weekend planned, the sooner we can start planning the honeymoon!! I'm thinking Italy...

3 comments:

  1. I've heard that Club Quarters on Wacker is a good value for being located downtown, though the rooms are on the small side. I've also heard that the MDA City Apartments on E. Lake are reasonable and nice. Good for larger groups because they have mulit-bedroom apartments available. And right by Millenium Park. Both are intended for business travelers, but are a good budget option for visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd suggest looking at hotels used frequently by University of Chicago-- or, do they have a union-type hotel building?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestions. I hit another road block in learning there's a clinical oncology convention bringing 35,000 people into town that weekend! So TONS of places are already booked. So now I'm looking at Bed and breakfasts--there's a few in this area. Also, my dad's looking into private clubs--I might see if I can pull a few strings with Union League or something. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete